Re: [seul-edu] I love progress

There is Micro X or something like that it works -- but
I found it flaky.  I didn't like it.   The only ones
that I found good are the ones you need to pay for.
However, the last time I tested was 2 years ago.  Maybe
things have improved.

PS - I am the Tech Director at my school and I was
talking budget with the Business Manager.  When I showed
him the software bill from last year and projected for
next year he wanted to know how to minimize that since
it is close to a quarter of our budget.  Now he wants
Linux on the student's computers and how quickly we
could get it on other machines.

Funny, previously he wanted to move away from it because
he didn't think anybody was using it.  (The shops here
are certainly resisting its invasion -- but the IBM guys
are fascinated by it -- perhaps because they have to
be).

Bill

Quoting Jason Mellen <jmellen@intellikey.com>:

> 	When I became my schools webmaster the IT Director
had never been exposed
> to Linux. He has allowed me to set up a linux box to
experiment with. Today
> when I walked into the office he said that he wanted a
mail system for
> every
> student through telent. This was really exciting. In
about one month he has
> adopted Linux as a viable option and seems constantly
impressed by all the
> things that it can do.
> 	Now, why didn't he know about Linux to begin with?
Perhpas that is a
> factor
> that is slowing the acceptance down. If these IT
directors knew about what
> this can do for them they would be willing to try it
out. Just a thought,
> does anyoen else see this?
>
> 	On a side note, I am looking for a free (opensource
or not) Win32 X
> server.
> Are there any that I don't know about. The school will
be slow to put linux
> on all the machines but might be more willing to
install X to run off an
> app
> server. Thanks for any help.
>
> Jason Mellen
> Palm Bay High School

TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>