[seul-edu] Linux in homeschool environment

Greetings, I'm rather new to the mail list but am interested in discussions
concerning the use of Linux by homeschoolers.  I have homeschooled my children
since 1995.  Most of the effort has been with middle and high school grades.

One of the most important requirements is curriculum-based educational
software that will provide a foundation for standard academic tests.  We have
used software by Jostens Learning Co. which, unfortunately, only runs on
M$ machines.  This particular software was distributed by CD and was
targeted for homeschool or remedial work.  The titles were High School Core
and Math Mastery or High School Math.  The material is presented in a way
that emphasizes reading, a structural approach to writing, and math.  This
material has few M$-style "bells-and-whistles", little multimedia, no videos
of khaki-clad teacher-types but we have found it to be very effective.

Unfortunately, the original CDs are no longer published by Jostens but have
been replaced by   more multimedia dense material.  Nevertheless, I think
the Jostens Core and Math CDs would provide an excellent model for a similar
effort using a Linux platform.

The Jostens material provides individual student tracking (each student
logs into the software) which is very important.  Ideally, a Linux version
should provide a modular approach with basic engines that manage the
way the system handles student responses and tracking and easily updated
content (a problem is that the old Jostens material is quite out of date
in some areas).

Oh, in addition, I use Linux to assist in student science projects by
using free statistical software the Gnome spreadsheet and some economical
DOS stuff which runs very well in DOSEMU.