[seul-edu] Re: curriculum - Linux Education

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:03, Ms.G wrote:
> Mr. Chen and others on this thread:
>
> Beware of a mistake often seen in community-technology efforts: aiming
> right over the targeted learners' heads!

<snip>

I have also recently been asked to look into finding or organising a
beginners or introductory course to Linux.  This would not be aimed to IT
professionals, but at your average home user or small business operator who
doesn't like Microsofts new licensing arrangements and has heard of Linux and
would like to know more but doesn't know where to start.

This discussion has been quite involved, with a number of things to follow
up.  I'm also unclear what has been going on off list.

Perhaps a summary post of the relevant sources of information would not go
astray?

* A curriculum by Alan was posted by Karl, 16 November.
* Tom Miller has a basic users course.  Unclear if this is publicly available.
* Teemu has created some courses, and would consider releasing them, possibly
under the OpenContent License (http://opencontent.org/) or GPL.
* John has a short history of Unix at
http://www.interdepend.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Main/LinuxOpenLecturePool
* Karl is hoping to start a repository of curriculums.
* Karl mentions http://www.linuxuniversity.org
* Ms G give a link to Dr Phil Carinhas curriculum, released under the GPL.
http://www.fortuitous.com/reply.php?name=manuals.html

There may be other information I have missed.

My question is what is the status with the courses mentioned by Tom Miller
and Teemu?

And are there any other links that people would like to suggest?

Rasjid.