Re: [seul-edu] Distro Dementia

William Kendrick wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:33:22AM -0600, Les Richardson wrote:
>
> > I have heard some talk about making an educational only distribution.  I
> > assume that we're not talking about a "real distro" in the sense that we do
> > hardware detection, etc. but rather an application only CD that can run "on
> > top of" various popular distro's (and hopefully most of them with only
> > minor changes. (i.e. libraries issues,etc.))

[snip]

> Let [distro vender] figure out the standard distro-related stuff,
> then we can provide a CD / [deb | rpm]-package-repository / etc.
> for the various needs of educators and students.
>
> -bill!

Hmm, surely you just take a GPLed distro, add in the edu packages and distribute
disks of the whole lot - Debian, Red Hat & Co have all taken care of the
installation routines.
However just distributing the applications means making too many assumptions
about the installation someone has - even assuming that they already have a
GNU/Linux distribution.

- Richard

--

Richard Smedley