Re: [seul-edu] Distro Dementia II

Hi Richard,

>Hmm, surely you just take a GPLed distro, add in the edu packages and
distribute
>disks of the whole lot - Debian, Red Hat & Co have all taken care of the
>installation routines.
>However just distributing the applications means making too many assumptions
>about the installation someone has - even assuming that they already have a
>GNU/Linux distribution.
>
>- Richard

I would assume that if someone builds a .deb or .rpm file, that they could
then add them to that particular installed distribution, since that is the
whole point of having package managers.

Also, if we distribute the "whole lot" it would be DVD production time for
us. We are effectively entering the distribution business then.....

And building an entire distribution means entering into competition with
Red Hat, SuSe, etc. This doesn't seem like a particularly wise idea.
(Although, of course, some people "just 'gotta" do this and so be it. It's
a lot of work.)

Les Richardson