Re: [seul-edu] Site tools for Schoolforge

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 07:18:18PM +0000, Doug Loss wrote:

> Roger has looked at the Sourceforge code and is singularly unimpressed
> with it.  Besides, it's probably too heavy for what we're trying to do
> and is aimed at software deveelopment, which is only a part of what
> Schoolforge will be doing.

SourceForge is reasonable, but as you've said, it's primary focus is
on software development. It's quite modular, and could be snipped up
into pieces and pasted back into the appropriate spot somewhere else
if necessary.

> So we need folks to do some research and recommend tools for us to use
> to develop the various aspects of Schoolforge.  As David said, different
> areas will need different tools; the areas may not even be on the same
> systems.  Roger came up with a great list of aspects that Schoolforge
> should cover here

Seeing as the majority of the dot points listed were "watering holes",
two things come to mind. Firstly, the obvious solution is to run a
mailing list.

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| schoolforge-dev        | SchoolForge Developer hangout. Talk tech,  |
|                        | get down and dirty with code (yum)         |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| schoolforge-curricular | SchoolForge Teacher hangout. Discussion of |
|                        | ways to improve and create course material |

> <http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/Nov-2001/msg00266.html>.  Please
> look at that message again and then volunteer to look for organizational
> tools to help us implement one or another of those aspects.  I've got to
> warn you folks, if you don't do this on your own, I'll start naming
> names and asking you specifically to do stuff. :-)  Oh the horror, to be
> singled out by Doug for a task!

The web-based community forum thing is something that isn't going to
happen over night. It wouldn't be that hard to develop something
quickly using PHP + PostgreSQL, but there are certain requirements
that will be (no doubt) imposed upon the developers. They really need
to be nutted out so a specification for the web app can be handed to
the developers.

   - andrew

--
Andrew J. Reid                    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem
andrew.reid@plug.cx               mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane