Re: [seul-edu] Reservations about Wikis: Site tools for Schoolforge

So as to not get bogged down in a discussion of tools, this will (probably)
be my last posting on the topic of wikis vs. sourceforge-like tools.

David had some comments about wikis, which Larry addresses below.  IMHO, it
the advantages and disadvantages vary a lot depending on which wiki software
you use.  I'm using Pwiki on several sites right now, and it does allow you
to control which users can edit which pages and sections.  Twiki allows even
more fine-grained control.  A major advantage is that all the data entry is
done in a web page, so you don't have much of a learning curve for users.
(Though there is a little bit of a curve, as I've learned recently--maybe
more about that in an article on opensourceschools.org?) Part of my thinking
is that sourceforge-like tools, such as cvs, have a learning curve that would
discourage most non-programmers.

I agree with David's comment that if we use a sourceforge-like tool with cvs,
that the tool must be easy to use and contained entirely in a browser.

I think wikis and sourceforge both have aspects that we should have in any
tool we choose or develop.

Interesting discussion, all...

(Also--I vote for "schoolforge".)

Jeff Nelson