Re: [Fwd: a suggestion]

> In terms of genuine empowerment, I think a computer to own and keep is 1000% better than any machine owned by an organisation like a school.... as Nathan has already noted, the government is plowing a bunch of computers into
> the schools anyway...

I couldn't agree more. It is nice that the government wants to give
computers to schools and libraries, but they do not help the individual
much.

One of my particular areas of interest in this project is giving the
opportunity for carreers in IT to kids from financially disadvantaged
homes. I learned all my computer skills from playing with a computer at
home.

No training (even quite expensive private courses) has ever come close
to teaching me enough about computers to get me a job. If I had not been
lucky enough to have parents who could afford a computer at home way
back in 1986, I would probably still be washing dishes for a living.

A big part of the benefit in the way that the computerbank program could
be run is that those kids can have a computer at home not only so that
mum and dad can email job applications, but so the kids can mess that
computer up, get in trouble and have to figure out how to fix it! (At
least, that's how I learned!)

Isn't there a saying that goes something like - 'Give a man a fish and
he will eat for a day, but teach him how to fish and he will eat for a
lifetime'.

Aside from people who cannot for whatever reason travel to libraries to
use the machines, even the people who can will recieve minimal benefit
from them.

Well FWIW that's my feelings on the subject,
-Sam

-- BEGIN included message

David Buddrige wrote:

> In terms of genuine empowerment, I think a computer to own and keep is 1000% better than any machine owned by an organisation like a school.... as Simon has already noted, the government is plowing a bunch of

Sincere apologies - Simon said no such thing.... I meant Nathan... 8-)

BTW... In case this comes across wrong, I'm not having a go at Nathan (or anyone else) here... I think that it's an excellent idea to get machines into public places like libraries and schools too.... however, I feel that this
is already being covered by the government - also, putting them directly into the hands of disadvantaged families I think has a greater impact in terms of actual empowerment.

What are your thought's Nathan?  I'd be interested to discuss ...

Dave... 8-)

-- BEGIN included message

In terms of genuine empowerment, I think a computer to own and keep is 1000% better than any machine owned by an organisation like a school.... as Simon has already noted, the government is plowing a bunch of computers into
the schools anyway...

If you stick the computers in schools or some other similar organisation, access to them is limited to when school is on - secondly, there is likely to be a queue for it's use (or alternately, it will collect dust in the
corner because the high-powered windows 98 machines are preferred

I have found the greatest learning comes about when I have exclusive use of a machine to tinker and mess about with it thereby generating knowlege and experience.

Bearing in mind that it is not uncommon for a Unix Systems Administrator to be paid >$50k, (just have a look at the Australian newspaper on any Tuesday) a Linux based computer  to learn on, and tinker with could be a real
and substantial way out of the poverty trap that many disadvantaged families' kids get into.

If they can grow up with some flavour of unix, and learn it when they are young, by the time they are ready to leave school they will already be eminently employable - and at extremely high rates of pay.

I would see this as being a major ++ benefit of the whole Computer Bank Concept - that it offers disadvantaged kids an affordable (close to free) way to learn a skill that is going to set them up for life... heck, we have
this IT Staff shortage that the papers keep talking about - why not fill the gap with people who could use the job opportunities?

Anyway, that's my $0.02.  ;-)

Dave Buddrige.  8-)

Kylie Davies wrote:

> Hi
>
> Good to see you and others joining the list!
>
> >I see public places with many computers as a better option >than some families with one computer. Also, it would be a >lot easier to get an ISP to give access to an charitable >organisation than to an individual family.
>
> In some instances a computer with internet access for individual
> use is quite beneficial. An example is a chronically ill or
> disabled person (or an isolated one)...they may not be able to go
> anywhere to use a computer. In this case however it could be that
> the organisation who referred the client (person) to us (internet
> use identified as being beneficial) also gets computers -
> (internet access). The organisation could act as a dial up
> internet access point for the people with computers. (if we
> provide them with a network and a mini server).
>
> At the moment Dave is preparing a draft of the documents required
> for association. I'd expect the christmas period sees everyone a
> little rushed off their feet!
>
> Anyway today we got some good publicity on some major linux news
> sites. I have recieved many emails and am sorting through them at
> the moment.
>
> ....back to my email....
>
> Merry Xmas
>
> Kylie