Re: I don't know if this is an old question - is there a FAQ for this project?

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
To: Darrin Mison <staeci@geocities.com>
Cc: computerbank@linux.org.au <computerbank@linux.org.au>
Date: Saturday, 6 February 1999 9:23
Subject: Re: I don't know if this is an old question - is there a FAQ for
this project?

>unless they were willing to pay for the service, there would have to
>be some limits on mail sent and received (e.g. 1 MB/day or so, and ban
>ftpmail services...if anyone is still running stuff like that these
>days). there's no getting around the fact that bandwidth costs real
>money and no service provider can afford to give away for free what
>costs them a significant amount to provide.
>
>the uucp server would also have to have a reasonably fast net
>connection.

This is why I've been investigating the prospect of telehousing with a first
tier service provider like AAPT or TELSTRA.  Example: servers provided ex
gratia by someone like DEC or SUN housed in TELSTRAs Paddington server farm.
Virtual nationwide POP provided via the same mechanism as Connect.com.
Of all potential host ISPs Telstra or AAPT would be most likely to be able
to absorb the bandwidth costs as they won't be paying the exorbitant line
rental of lower tier ISPs.  It could be justified as PR expenditure.

Just a thought.

Dave

-- Information IS Power --