Re: Random thoughts - A spanner in the works

Date sent:      	Thu, 7 Jan 1999 08:58:24 +1100
From:           	Telford Tendys <telford@eng.uts.edu.au>
To:             	computerbank@linux.org.au
Subject:        	Re: Random thoughts - A spanner in the works

Hi Tel & All,

> OK, some hard-headed reasons...
>
> If we have a new chunk of hardware who's OS is scrambled or
> something we don't want, can we reformat the hard drive and install
> DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1? Well there is no legal way of doing it.
> You cannot BUY this operating system, it is officially obsolete.
> We could take a clone of your box and it would probably work quite
> well (though if the hardware was different we may need to fiddle a bit)
> but even if it worked it would not be legal, we would be pirates. Since
> this operation is going to be very visible, any piracy would soon be
> detected and no doubt trouble would start.
I, in no way, wanted to suggest that dos/win be used but wanted to
point out what could happen.

Also in no way would I suggest to anyone that they sould use ANY
MS product unless they had to.

> Second reason (if we manage to get around the first), the upgrade
> path for a future user of Win 3.1 is not particularly good. Should
> they want to learn to program, they will need a 16 bit compiler like
> Turbo-C, then when they inevitably want to move to a 32 bit system
> some day they must re-learn what they have done (not completely but
> quite a lot). Also, should they want a new application for their
> Win 3.1 box they can't get it from anywhere because no one makes them.

Finding anything for 3.1 is near impossible - true. Although some
products offer a 3.1/95/98 path in installing.

> If we have a user with special needs such as limited eyesight
> or a shaky mouse hand for example, since you have no source code
> to Win 3.1, you can't change things around to help this person.
> With linux you can redirect the text to a speech converter or
> hack a low-pass filter right into the mouse driver. Since these
> hacks are easy to do, many people are out there doing them so you
> have a resource of active developers.
>
> > Excepting that I want to get out of the DOS/MS envir AND learn a
> > lot more than I know now - If I was given a machine with only text based
> > clients I would probably reformat the HD and put DOS/MS on board.
>
> As I said above, doing this is illegal.
>
> Also, maybe you underestimate text based clients. I do have X windows
> running quite well on my machine but I often use text mode anyhow. When I
> do use X, most of my programs are just text running in a window. The
> reason is that the text based clients do the job, do it fast and I don't
> have to fiddle around with mouse clicks (since my typing is far faster
> than my mouse manipulation).
>
> Also, I do a lot of work over the network, running apps on remote
> machines. The text interface stays quite consistent when running over a
> modem or ethernet, etc. It's much less trouble for me not to have to think
> about it.
>
> If you were to switch your 386 over to linux and stick to text
> apps, I can guarantee that the speed difference to Win 3.1 apps would
> amaze you. Maybe speed is not everything, I have seen Win 3.1 on a 386 and
> it's quite usable but somehow still seems a little sluggish.

If I could change this beast to Linux, I would, but the owner of it
(my daughter) doesn't like the name Linux ????? {you tell me} and
she can handle what she has well and she tells me if she cant get
ICQ WITH full chat then forget it..
PS.
I have for ages, after seeing what Linux can do, been trying to find
out the MINIMUM configuration to get it on board - since I have a
100M drive I could use. - any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have Redhat & Slackware.

Oracle

>  - Tel

Love to all the Saints,
Peter - The Oracle - ICQ 3856237
http://www.theoracle.nu
The LORD bless you .. keep you and make his face
shine upon you, and be gracious unto you ... and
lift up his countenance upon you, and give you
peace. Num 6:24-26