Re: [Computerbank] the special case of Tassie

Good morning Terry and all,

For your information Terry, I've been around Computerbank in Victoria since
almost its inception here. I treat Linux like a religion that works well
for the needy, but I can take it or leave it. I can't fix my car or
understand its workings but I have one and think everyone in Australia
should have one, whether it is a Holden or Ford or Toyota or whatever
doesn't concern me.

Your advice is gratuitous, ignorant and offensive. You've tried it on
before, leave off. I mention I don't belong to your 'religion' and you
attack me, take a good look at your thin skin.

Let's both work in our own ways for the people who cannot afford to buy
their own computers. My comment about the three bush places that have been
forced to go their own ways without being able to source Linux help near
enough is just a fact. I'm convinced however that there are Linux experts
near enough to them to have been able to help them, we weren't able to find
them, that's all.

Creating country branches of Computerbank in places too far from a capital
city can be done, if only that discover-a-local-Linux-expert problem is
solved. It's not my religion but I accept this is the right way to go, I've
met enough friendly and committed Linux-devoted people to know and accept
that.

The bush has had to do many of the things it does on its own, the model for
doing that is well established. Taking donated computers and distributing
them to locals on the other side of the digital divide is a concern in
almost every country community, it's not just a city thing. Adding in the
knowledge of Linux to everything else they can do otherwise is the missing
piece.

As is patently clear, I don't understand anything about Linux or the Linux
groups, do you think I'm right that there are Linux people "out there" in
rural and remote Australia from your experience?

If not, then all of what I have been trying to do is indeed a dead duck,
and I'll take your advice and do something else.

Thank you for giving me the chance to say this.

.. Bruce