Re: re bobs comments

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 03:27:57PM +0800, Bob Ogden wrote:
> Ok, so for RAM could you do something like...
> form factor (30 pin 72 pin sim sip dimm ...)
> chip number (Panasonic MN41C1000ASJ-07 etc)
> Number of chips ( 3 , 9, 12 etc)
> Mb/unit (8, 16 etc)
> Serial # (940510...)
> unit ID ( part # or other id)
> notes ( ? maybe...)
>
> I know it looks a lot but I'm concerned we're going to have
> to be mixing and matching RAM a lot and it would make life so
> much easier for those building up the machines.

this is really elegant, but i question the practicality of it.

when you're building a machine (or several machines) out of junk parts
you will just scavenge whatever you can find to get the thing running.
this will often involve gutting semi-dead machines and re-cycling their
usable bits.

if you have to scrutinise and record every serial number on every SIMM
card before you put it in a machine (and before you know whether that
SIMM works) you'll be wasting a lot of time.

> ( places like http://www.infinityelectronics.com/crossref.htm are
> going to have to become second homes to some :)

yes, and the hardware book. i can't remember the original site URL but
it's available as a debian package.

$ dpkg -s hwb
Package: hwb
 The Hardware Book contains misc technical information about computers
 and other electronic devices. You'll find the pinout to most common
 (and uncommon) connectors available, as well as info about how to build
 cables.

there's a lot more in there than this brief description suggests.

i grepped the html files, and the original site is at
http://www.blackdown.org/~hwb/hwb.html

craig

--
craig sanders