Re: Transportation of units

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:46:35 -0500 (CDT)
Jonathan Koren <jkoren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 04:15:26 -0500 (CDT)
> > Jonathan Koren <jkoren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't allow nesting of containers. This could become very confusing
> > and mouse click intensive in game play. Every transport could contain
> > another transport which again can contain a transport. This isn't very
> > realistic and difficult to handle. So I would prefer the container
> > handling as it is with [unload-and-load in a single turn and preloading
> > of containters from inside other containers]
>
> I agree nesting can result in confusing and mouse intensive game play and
> those are both valid reasons for disallowing nesting, but I wouldn't say
> that it was unrealistic.
>
> The US Marines have amphibous assault carriers.  The deck of the ship
> allows helicopters to land, and the hull of the ship consists of a wet
> dock for hovercraft.  The hovercraft are loaded with all sorts of
> vehicles, including Bradley fighting vehicles (basically a cross between
> an APC and a light tank).  It is easy to imagine an assault where a
> hovercraft would come ashore, unload the Bradley, the Bradley would drive
> up and then dismount a squad of marines.

Ok, let's say nesting containers are unfortable in gameplay.

By the way your marine scenario would also be possible with the new
enter the Bradley just before they leave the hovercraft. In reality the would
sit inside the Bradley all the time but what difference this make? The result
is the same. So I think we could drop the idea of nesting containers in CF.

I haven't seen the new UI but I have a look soon. Wait for my comments ;-)

  Best Regards
    Matthias