Re: Transportation of units

On Friday 08 April 2005 02:19 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> Oh, come on. Next you'll want to put the infantry into the
> passenger seat of the scouts car or something. No really, that's a
> little over the top.

I still want to be able to split up infantry.  :)  I'm willing to let it rest
on the other units, but really, infantry is a liquid unit that can change
shape to fit the shape of its container.  (Maybe it's really a gas, because
infantry seems to automatically expand to fit its container?)

For that matter, I'd like to see a skin that does an older style of fighting
(think British riflemen vs Napoleon's polearms) with a high emphasis on
infantry.  Such a scenario falls down if you can't adjust the sizes of
infantry units themselves (not completely, I'm sure you could make a
perfectly enjoyable scenario without it, but I think every scenario would be
enhanced by allowing it).

My brother and I actually ran a game of Ogre/GEV allowing infantry to be
loaded into virtually any unit so long as we could justify a reason for it.
The game became unbalanced quickly.  While in reality you could have an
underdog scenario where infantry have to be transported in units that aren't
normally available for transport, to simulate that scenario in the game you
have to provide transports, or you have to make a special unit *for* the
scenario.

(I mean, literally, we had infantry hanging on on top of the supertank Ogre
because, well, they could hold on to the gun turrets, couldn't they?)

Dave

--
You are here:
		***