Re: Transportation of units

On 08.04.2005 13:51, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> > 1. What happens when the user loads a transport from inside another
> >     transport?

Is there anything I can do to make you try current CVS... ;-)

> There are no inner and outer transports. To handle everything the same
> way, I would also change the loading of crystals. They should be loaded
> as every other unit just before move a transportation unit.

I disagree (sort of). For me, the loading dialog when moving transports
out of containers is an annoyance. I don't like it. I just haven't found
a better solution, yet. The way crystals are loaded is much less
intrusive and should stay as it is even if that means it's a little
inconsistent. It would make sense, however, to also allow, transferring
crystals in the loading dialog if it pops up anyway.
Crystals also differ from units in that they are not automatically
unloaded when entering a container.

> > These three questions bring up two more questions about transports.
> > First, do crystals take up space within the transport or not?  I don't
> > think they do, but should a transport plane containing the maximum
> > load of 100 crystals still be able to carry 5 tanks?
>
> Every transportation must have some properties:
> - transport capacity which defines how much units could be loaded
> - transport room which defines which units could be loaded (Don't put a
>   torpedoship into an hovercraft, It won't fit in the locker :-))
>
> To be able to handle all units the same way also crystals need a weight
> and a volume. You can't transport crystals without costs.

Yes, crystals take up space that could otherwise be used for units.

> > Second, do different type units take up the same amount of space
> > inside transports?  For example, should a transport loaded with only
> > infantry carry more units, than the same transport that is loaded
> > with only medium tanks.  (i.e. do tanks weigh more than infantry?)
>
> I think so. It would be unfair if an infantry platoon needs the same
> transport capacity (weight and volume) as a tank platoon. Each
> unit need properties matching those from the transportation unit:
> - weight
> - volume
>
> The transportation unit is full if either the weight or the volume
> reaches its limit.

It's a bit more simple than that, and I think that's sufficient. Each
unit belongs to a "class" (the same thing that determines whether it
may enter a shop) that also approximately describes its weight/volume.
So, a unit of class 2 (e.g. Medium Tanks) requires 2 units of "space"
inside a transport.

> > Third, should there be an icon indicating whether or not a transport
> > is loaded. [...] I don't want the icons to get
> > cluttered with status bars anymore than the next guy.  I just think
> > this is something that  should be considered.
>
> I don't think that we need something like this. Everybody could easily
> look into his transports to see what is in it. On the other side it
> would  be a good brain trainig to keep all transportation units and it's
> load in mind ;-)

If you haven't missed the status bars up to now, it's safe to say you
won't need them.

> A point you missed is the weight of an transportation unit with and
> without load. I think the answer has already been given but to make it
> crystal clear: The weight of an transportation unit is the sum of it's
> own weight plus load. So if a fully loaded hovercraft should be loaded
> into an troop ship, the troop ship must have enough free capacity to
> store the complete weight.

This is what CF uses except that crystals don't appear in the
calculation. Maybe they should, but I'm not sure. There is really no
good way to get rid of crystals (yeah, it could be added, too, but
adding features for the features' sake doesn't make much sense),
and you would need that if you want to get a transport into a
container it doesn't quite fit in.

> But what about the volume? I think we make a mistake if we simply add
> all volumes. You wouldn't store empty boxes into your car. You would put
> thinks into it to save space, woudn't you?

Oh, come on. Next you'll want to put the infantry into the
passenger seat of the scouts car or something. No really, that's a
little over the top.

Jens