Re: Transportation of units

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:19:53 +0000
Jens Granseuer <jensgr@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08.04.2005 13:51, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> > > 1. What happens when the user loads a transport from inside another
> > >     transport?
>
> Is there anything I can do to make you try current CVS... ;-)

Who do you mean? Jonathan or me? ;-)

All I described in my last mail is a concept I would put into practice. There
might be differences to the current game. I didn't write it all in conditional
form as it should have been because it was easier the other way round. ;-)

> > There are no inner and outer transports. To handle everything the same
> > way, I would also change the loading of crystals. They should be loaded
> > as every other unit just before move a transportation unit.
>
> I disagree (sort of). For me, the loading dialog when moving transports
> out of containers is an annoyance. I don't like it. I just haven't found
> a better solution, yet. The way crystals are loaded is much less
> intrusive and should stay as it is even if that means it's a little
> inconsistent. It would make sense, however, to also allow, transferring
> crystals in the loading dialog if it pops up anyway.
> Crystals also differ from units in that they are not automatically
> unloaded when entering a container.

Be carefull with inconsistencies. According my experience those things stike
back in future for sure. Sometimes it is better to review the concept and
modify it in a way everything is in line again although it would be more work.

> > But what about the volume? I think we make a mistake if we simply add
> > all volumes. You wouldn't store empty boxes into your car. You would put
> > thinks into it to save space, woudn't you?
>
> Oh, come on. Next you'll want to put the infantry into the
> passenger seat of the scouts car or something. No really, that's a
> little over the top.

Hey, we are discussing a concept,  aren't we. :-) Nobody said that it should
be done this way but to catch a glimpse about possible future extension
doesn't do any harm or what do you think?. :-)

  Best Regards
     Matthias