Re: Shortcut focusing idle units

On 25.08.2006 17:07, Henk Jonas wrote:
> Jens Granseuer wrote:
> > On 25.08.2006 14:54, Henk Jonas wrote:
> >
> >>I would vote for an item in the context menu. Makes it easier for
> >>portable ports :-)
> >
> > I don't know. Is it really that useful. The right-click menu is big enough
> > as it is, I don't want to clutter it up any more.
>
> The problem with another key is, that mobile devices only have a limited
> amount of free buttons. You need already buttons for scrolling (which
> isn't really perfect in the main code),

What's the problem there?

> for simulating left and right
> mouse click and  probably for stuff like "Pause", "Fast Exit" and such.

Understood, but growing the menu beyond the display size won't be any good,
either. That's why I'm asking whether this particular function is really
that useful. I haven't used it in ages, and I was even close to removing
it completely once and only left it in because every once in a while
someone comes asking for it (which obviously shows that there is *some*
demand for it, and I'm not saying it's unreasonable, mind you).

> Also it is quite hard to remember which additional button was assigned
> to which key or function. Having something like a submenu in the
> right-click menu would make things much more easier to find for novice
> players on mobile devices.

Discoverability is yet another matter, and CF has several areas where
it's not really great. And it should be improved. But I don't want to
believe that the only valid answer to that is "put everything in the
menu".

> But that's just my 2 cents and of course, knowing that such a
> functionality exist (which I didn't know btw :-) makes it easy to add it
> on my own in the Palm OS port.

Of course you can, but it's probably also in the interest of the
port maintainers to keep the ports as close to mainline as possible?

Jens