Re: Nikola's map

On 14.12.2006 09:56, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 23:47, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> > >
> > > What do you mean by long-range combat?
> >
> > Anything beyond hex-to-hex, so, in this case, scouts and artillery.
>
> Don't know what to say, it's actually my favourite way of combat :)

Heh, shows once again that people have different preferences.

> > Well, you wouldn't have to change the map much. I think it would qualify as
> > a big river the way it is now. However, a lake would do the trick just as
> > well. Probably a little better, even.
>
> OK, I'll adapt the briefings then. Could you give me names for the lakes?

Uh, want to shove the hardest part of map creation onto the
shoulders of others, huh?

Well, anyway, suggestions:
Glass Lake
Lake Sone
Lake Yukarwa
Lake Quasari

I'm sure somebody else can come up with better ones.

We already discussed this once a long time back, but does
anyone feel like drafting a layout for the geography of
Nexus (or the Yalwa province since that's what would be
most helpful for the current campaign)?

Nikola, when changing the briefing I think it's important
to put this mission into the campaign context. After
"Clipped Wings", the next mission (4) will feature the main
body of the FNA moving north across (most of) the Sarot
Plains, where they will be harrassed by lots of EoK troops
(especially aircraft) without having freindly bases to
retreat to. After that (in mission 6) whatever is left of
them will attack Lula, the second bigger city already
mentioned in the plot outline [1].
In the meantime, the smaller arm will also advance northwards,
but west of the plains, behind a smaller mountain range.
They will try to keep the Empire from throwing too many
forces at those marching out in the open. This is what your
map (number 5), should be about. Now, trying to keep the
Empire from constructing a channel sounds like it would
generate nice long-term benefits, but the FNA should rather
be looking for short-term advantages here (like attacking
comm stations or taking down airfields like they did in
"Clipped Wings" or raiding supply lines or something).
Maybe somebody has other good ideas?

Jens

[1] http://crimson.seul.org/wiki/index.php/The%20Province%20of%20Yalwa