Re: Nikola's map

I've been busy for a few days so I couldn't reply.

On Friday 15 December 2006 12:50, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> On 15.12.2006 10:22, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> > This is the briefing now:
> >
> > The empire is constructing a channel which will connect Lake Yukarwa with
> > Lake Lulu. If finished, it would enable quick transport of troops between
> > the lakes, endangering our operations.
> >
> > You are chosen to lead a small force which will take control of the area
> > and stop construction of the channel.
> >
> > However, it appears that enemy forces are somewhat stronger than we
> > expected... Good luck!
>
> How about something like this instead:
>
> "Since the Kandelians have not been able to stop us on the Sarot Plains,
> our main body is now marching towards Lula, an industrial center where
> many of the crystals from the famous Mines of Yalwa are processed.
>
> Lula is going to be our first rallying point since we began our mission
> in Rhintura. We need to refuel, replenish our supplies and recruit more
> volunteers for our cause to replace our casualties.
>
> Of course, the Empire knows where we are headed, and they are already
> reinforcing their army in Lula. Therefore we have sent the western
> division north from Mhran. A lot of the troops the Kandelians are
> sending in from the west need to cross the bridge across the dam at
> Lake Yukarwa there. If we can manage to destroy the dam, that should
> delay reinforcements to Lula long enough that we can take the city
> before they arrive.
>
> The bridge is heavily guarded, and the easiest way to destroy it is
> via the hydroelectric power plant that is sitting north of the lake.
> We can close all the floodgates from there, and the dam structure
> will not be sturdy enough to withstand the water pressure and burst.
>
> Good luck! For a free Nexus!"
>
> You'll have to make very minor changes to the map to create a
> believable dam that can be destroyed, but IMO it fits the campaign
> plot much better at this point.

Well, this is much more verbose, but I'm afraid that i'll need to change the
map too much. First, I'd need to complete the channel and remove the road
which goes around the bridge, and then the Empire would have only one access
route (over the bridge), making the map too easy. Second, I don't see how I
could make a believeable dam. I tried using shop parts but they're all
oriented in the way which makes it neccessary for the river to run
north-south, which is even bigger change.

I realise that it is a bit unrealistic that an army is in need of having a
channel built really quickly, but I can easily make it even closer to being
finished and add some dramatisation ("...forcing large numbers of our people
to work as slave labor, of whom many are dying of exhaustion...").

I'd also like to keep the surprise element in the briefing ("it appears that
enemy forces are somewhat stronger than we expected...").

> > (Almost) final map is attached. I introduced handicaps, and the only
> > thing I don't have is map name.
>
> "Lake Yukarwa", "The Yukarwa Dam", "Open Wide The Floodgates"...

OK.

> There are a few more issues:
>
> * The "Eastern depot" is really western (I think it would suffice
>   to call it "Depot" since there aren't any others anyway)

I meant eastern as in on eastern lake shore but since it's apparently
confusing I'll rename it.

> * The Score event for the FNA taking the Empire's HQ is broken
>   (have you decided to switch depot and HQ, btw? I think you
>   should)

Fixed. No, I just moved the HQ further inland. When I tested, it turned out to
be impossible to capture it.

> * "Lula base" is a really bad name here; Lula is somewhere else,
>   currently controlled by Kand, and featured in the next mission;
>   I'd suggest just using "Rebel HQ" just like in most other
>   missions

As with depot, I wanted to say that it's a base on lake Lula. I'll change it
to Rebel HQ.

> * a few of your tiles are wrong
>   * you use a part of the 4-tile hill standalone in several places
>     which looks odd

I can't discern the parts enough, so someone else will have to fix this :(

>   * the first segment the wharf at "Yukarwa industries" is part of
>     a warehouse of which you just included the NE edge...

I like the look of it more than the look of one which should be used :) but I
can change it if it's neccessary.