Re: Second tutorial map

On 25.01.2005 23:51, The Fox wrote:
> I created the map layout which is (as always) open to any comments.

Nice layout so far. Before you extend the messages, though, please
remove messages # 5, 6, and 7. 5 and 6 are only needed for the first
mission of a campaign, and 7 wasn't even used there.

> My idea of this map is:
>
> - the player starts with experienced and damaged Heavy Tanks somewhere
> in the middle of the map (8/10 or so) against two almost destroyed
> Medium Tanks.
> - after destroying the enemies he's told to return to the depot and
> repair the tanks
> - then he receives some crystals to build some heavy and medium tanks.
> Opponent will then be able to produce Infantry (and gets some mining
> so that he creates them one at a time) for, say, 3 turns and then
> Medium Tanks for maybe 6 turns (one every other turn or so, this will
> need some balancing) -- The idea of this is to gain some ranking by
> the player and see that the units are more powerful then. It does not
> cover the "advanced" tactics (wedging, blocking), so he has to have
> superior numbers at all times.

If the goal is to show the effects of experience wouldn't it be better
to give the player, e.g. two medium tanks in different parts of the
map, one straight out of the factory, and one an experienced veteran,
and pit each of them against an unexperienced unit of medium tanks as
well? That way you can immediately compare the effects.

> - after that (probably timer triggered) the player will "research"
> Infantry and will be instructed to conquer the enemy base.

Adding repairs and production is fine IMO.

Jens