Re: Multi-hex units

On 20.10.2004 18:57, Patrick Forhan wrote:
Quoting Jens Granseuer <jensgr@gmx.net>:
> The effect is not quite as bad for hexes as it is for squares, but
> it's definitely there. And both of the solutions above don't look
> desirable to me.

One thing to consider:  Two-hex units will have to be smaller in the middle
(because the joining hex side is not as wide as the rest of the hex), which
is the point most likely to cross into other units.  So the potential overlay is
not as bad as with squares.
That's right.

I would say to just try it out.  It may not be so bad.  Otherwise, just snap to
the grid when turning corners, and go smooth when rotating or moving in a
straight line.
I'll experiment some with the GIMP first, I guess. No point in writing code
just to throw it away ;-)

Something we've not discuessed (though I'm sure you've considered it) is how to
give instructions to these behmoths.  Can they pivot on one hex?  Do they have
some sort of turn radius (I'm thinking a battleship here, which can't turn
without moving forward)?
I wouldn't want to introduce additional restrictions for movement of large
units. Besides, modern ships have extra screws for moving sideways or turning
in place, or they can adjust their angle. Let's just assume this technology
has survived on Nexus as well, so a battleship won't feel much different
from a single-hex unit.

Jens