[freehaven-dev] info hiding conference

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> f) Information Hiding Conference. An abstract is due Dec 7ish, for
> this Pittsburgh conference. We had originally been pondering a better
> formalization of anonymity as a nice topic for this paper, but the
> deadline is perhaps a bit close for that.
> I'll post more about this topic in a bit.

Another possibility might be to expand the material on paying mix-nets.
I don't think I've seen a fully worked out explanation of how
mix-net nodes can actually benefit from their mixing duties. There is some
cypherpunk speculation about how it will all be paid for with digital cash
eventually, but as we've noticed there are some nasty details.

This may be important, since it seems that running a mix node exposes you
to harassment and possibly legal action. So people start a node out
of a volunteer spirit and then let it die later. This might not happen
as often if remailer operators were paid.

-David