Re: gEDA-user: gnetlist: ERROR: Unbound variable: primitive-fork

Thank you for your reply.
Please find below the answers to the questions asked.
As suggested, I have also created a very simple circuit (single resistor) and
this causes the same error, as shown by the transcripts below.

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 10:11:55PM -0400, Ales Hvezda wrote:
> >[berni@odie cmeter]$ gnetlist -g PCBboard -o board.pcb cmeter.sch
> >gEDA/gnetlist version 20040111
> >gEDA/gnetlist comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
> >This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
> >conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.

> >ERROR: Unbound variable: primitive-fork
>
> 	Ugg.  I haven't seen this before.  Several things to try:
>
> 1) Could you please run gsch2pcb instead of gnetlist directly?  I'm curious
>    how that will behave.  For info on gsch2pcb please see:
>    http://web.wt.net/~billw/gsch2pcb/gsch2pcb.html

I did. This is where I started, but tried to narrow it down after I got:

: [berni@odie cmeter]$ gsch2pcb -v cmeter
: Reading project file: cmeter
:     schematics cmeter.sch
:     output-name board
: Running command:
:         gnetlist -g PCB -o board.net cmeter.sch
: --------
: gEDA/gnetlist version 20040111
: gEDA/gnetlist comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
: conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.
:
: Default m4-pcbdir: /usr/local/share/pcb/m4
: --------
: gnet-gsch2pcb-tmp.scm override file:
:     (define m4-pcbdir "/usr/local/share/pcb/m4")
: --------
: Running command:
:         gnetlist -g gsch2pcb -o board.new.pcb -m gnet-gsch2pcb-tmp.scm cmeter.sch
: --------
: gEDA/gnetlist version 20040111
: gEDA/gnetlist comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
: conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.
:
: ERROR: Unbound variable: primitive-fork
: --------
:
: No elements to add so not creating board.new.pcb
: [berni@odie cmeter]$

The netlist is generated correctly. I can also generate spice or vhdl netlists.
The ERROR I have observed only with gsch2pcb or gnetlist -g PCBboard so far.

> 2) Do you have PCB installed?  I'm guessing the answer to this is obviously
>    yes.

Yes.
Compiled from source pcb-20040215.tar.gz obtained from sourceforge.

> 3) Do you have m4 installed?

yes, GNU m4 1.4.1

> >Could it be that an error in my schematic leads to the netlister failing?
> >Some library issue?
>
> 	Possible, but it sure is an odd error message.	We can eliminate
> these if you send me a small schematic which reproduces the problem on
> your box and I'll try it on my box.  Thanks.

The following schematic containing just two resistors:

$ cat test.sch
v 20040111 1
C 44900 56000 1 0 0 resistor-1.sym
{
T 45100 56300 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
refdes=R1
T 45000 55800 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
value=100
T 44900 56000 5 10 0 1 0 0 1
device=RES
T 44900 56000 5 10 0 1 0 0 1
footprint=0805
}

This schematic (single resistor!) when run through gnetlist generates the same
error:

: [berni@odie cmeter]$ gnetlist -v -g PCBboard -o test.pcb test.sch
: gEDA/gnetlist version 20040111
: gEDA/gnetlist comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
: conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.
:
:
:
: ------------------------------------------------------
: Verbose mode legend
:
: n : Found net
: C : Found component (staring to traverse component)
: p : Found pin (starting to traverse pin / or examining pin)
: P : Found end pin connection (end of this net)
: R : Starting to rename a net
: v : Found source attribute, traversing down
: ^ : Finished underlying source, going back up
: u : Found a refdes which needs to be demangle
: U : Found a connected_to refdes which needs to be demangle
: ------------------------------------------------------
:
: - Starting internal netlist creation
:  Cpp DONE
:
: - Staring post processing
: - Naming nets:
: pnpn DONE
: - Renaming nets:
:  DONE
: - Resolving hierarchy:
:  DONE
:  DONE
:
: Internal netlist representation:
:
: component R1
:         pin 2 () unconnected_pin
:         pin 1 () unconnected_pin
:
:
: ERROR: Unbound variable: primitive-fork
: [berni@odie cmeter]$

I also get the same error if I run gsch2pcb with the following project file:
results in the same error when run with gnetlist (and also if run by gsch2pcb):

: $ cat test
: schematics test.sch
: output-name board

: $ gsch2pcb -v test.sch
: Running command:
:         gnetlist -g PCB -o test.net test.sch
: --------
: gEDA/gnetlist version 20040111
: gEDA/gnetlist comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
: conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.
:
: Default m4-pcbdir: /usr/local/share/pcb/m4
: --------
: gnet-gsch2pcb-tmp.scm override file:
:     (define m4-pcbdir "/usr/local/share/pcb/m4")
: --------
: Running command:
:         gnetlist -g gsch2pcb -o test.new.pcb -m gnet-gsch2pcb-tmp.scm test.sch
: --------
: gEDA/gnetlist version 20040111
: gEDA/gnetlist comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
: conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.
:
: ERROR: Unbound variable: primitive-fork
: --------
:
: No elements to add so not creating test.new.pcb
: $

Not sure if the following is relevant:
$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.20-30.9 (bhcompile@porky.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #1 Wed Feb 4 20:44:26 EST 2004

I have installed gEDA with the rpm found on
ftp://ftp.geda.seul.org/pub/geda/devel/20040111/rpm/

Maybe I should compile gEDA from source ...

Thank you very much for any help.
Berni.