Re: gEDA-user: gnetlist: ERROR: Unbound variable: primitive-fork

Hi Berni,

[snip]
>> 	which is what I expect.  On your machine this should fail with
>> an unbound variable error message.
>
>You guessed correctly :-)

	Darn. :(

[snip]
>I did as you suggested ... but it is not yet working, I mean that I still get
>the same error message. What exactly did you mean with "point gschem and frien
>ds at the build .."? I understood that I should set:
>$ export GUILE_LOAD_PATH=/home/berni/guile-1.6.4

	One more thing that is important is the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  This
needs to point to the newly built guile libraries.  You could set this
variable to all the directories where libguile* live, but that isn't always
easy, so a better way to accomplish this is to install guile into some user
writable path like this:

	cd guile-1.6.4
	make clean
	./configure --prefix=$HOME/newguile
	(or pick some directory where you can install to)
	make install

Then set:
export GUILE_LOAD_PATH=$HOME/newguile/share/guile/1.6

and also:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/newguile/lib

and also:

export PATH=$HOME/newguile/bin:$PATH

then run:

which guile
		Make sure $HOME/newguile/bin/guile is found
ldd `which guile`
		Make sure all the libguile* libs are from $HOME/newguile/lib

If the above checks out, then run do the previously mentioned run guile and
type primitive-fork at the command line and see what happens.

Also, before you do the above make clean etc... Run the following command
in the guile-1.6.4 directory:

cat config.h | grep HAVE_FORK

and send the output to me; it should be similar to:

#define HAVE_FORK 1

or such.  (not #undef HAVE_FORK).

Finally, something else to do is find the file: libguile.a on your machine
somewhere (you many not have it if you do not have libguile-dev rpm installed
on your box), but it should be in the new guile that you built and run:

nm libguile.a | grep fork

The output from this should be:

         U fork
000000f7 r s_scm_fork
00000d7c T scm_fork

scm_fork is "primitive-fork".

Really, gEDA/gaf should have worked "out-of-the-box", however the forces
of evil (particularly those that are friends with guile :) are apparently
infesting your machine. :(

								-Ales