Re: gEDA-user: A couple o' questions

On 4/7/06, John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Carlos Nieves Ónega wrote:
>
> > Yes, please. There was a lot of attribute work committed to CVS in
> > 09-12-2005 (european date format: DD/MM/YYYY).
> > Just now I have commited some changes to the asic/ symbols, adding
> > some
> > missing pinlabel and pintype (passive) attributes, so maybe you can
> > use
> > the symbols in CVS.
> > You are right: the 780x don't have pintypes. All the linear directory
> > are ICs, and as I said earlier, I only fixed some of them. I expected
> > that people fix the symbols as soon as they were used... I was rather
> > optimistic...
>
> I think what's optimistic is the belief that the correct pintype is
> obvious. I think people don't put pintypes on because they don't know
> what to use. And I think this is *good*: the classification system
> really is only applicable to logic. For other things, the more
> carefully you think, the less obvious the pintype becomes...

The pintype *is* obvious for the "fistful of TTL chips" approach to
digital design, which was commonplace when EDA systems were first
getting developed.  Maybe the pintype DRC is a bit of an anachronism.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
  - fortune cookie