Re: gEDA-user: Design Lab Equipment

I second this motion! basic stamps have nice small simple boards, the drawback i have with them is I didn't want to learn another variant of basic.....

If you are familiar with C I'd suggest a microcontroller that is capable of being programmed in C, assembly can be tighter and cleaner, but that takes practice.

I am fond of the Atmel AVR series, and the GCC tool chain that goes along with it, it is also convient for OS X and Linux users, as the basic stamps native environment is windows.
yes they have compilers and such for linux, but the AVRs have better OS X support. With the GCC tool chain you have the ability to use both assembly and C

I have seen DJ Delorie using the R8C from Renasas, and I see that they are also using a GCC tool chain. They look like a nice part as well.

Happy researching
Steve