gEDA-user: searching connected to "this object" (was:Page contents browser)

Peter Clifton wrote:

What would be really really cool but very hard would be to add a
search with connection or relative location to another.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but if it is along the lines of searching for a "resistor" connected to "this object", that could be useful. I'm not sure how the user would specify the search though.

An example of a similar function done with chip design tools is to search for all capacitance attached to a node, or in layout, search for all connectivity from a certain object.

Searches like this are specified with the Skill, (LISP-based), language in Cadence software operating
on the same commands the tools are built with.  This kind of thing would fall out of making the netlist
file format a kind of language as Al Davis suggests.

I would think of relative location as with respect to topology at first and add "graphical schematic layout location"
based operators later (if possible), since the "connected by metal conductor" kind of nearness is first in importance.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could enter some high conductivity "segment of wire" resistors that the netlist reduced down to wire to create one output to manufacture, and left them in as markers of zones of location in your circuit topology. Then describing "parts that are near others" becomes the more managable, "parts along a net that have few or no wire-segment R's between them and the others". Those same wire segment R's could be used in simulations and back annotated to be accurate also...

John Griessen