Re: gEDA-user: PCBs using desktop inkjet

Peter Clifton wrote:

I thought about this, and decided that it would work. The charge
patterning is on the toner drum, and the process uses a HV charge
underneath the paper to attract the toner off it. You could energise the
FR4, perhaps the bottom of it.

Hmmm.... the way the metal would have charge on a big capacitance might make the toner jump around as it moves from drum to metal surface though....because of the local field changes as the first particles land affecting the following ones... On paper, some particles canceling charge still don't let current flow -- the surface holds static charge.

Has anyone done tests about printing onto metal foil covered paper?  I wonder...
the signage and plaque making businesses use dye sublimation for foil
overprinting to get zappy metallic reflective colors...

Aligning a 2-sided board would be near impossible.

But printing on two thin substrates might work with the right substrate and a "heavy paper setting" on a recent high performance laser printer..... Then align and laminate them with epoxy like multi layer board fabbers do...

At one stage, I had a laser printer stripped into pieces, we needed to re-design and cut new chassis side-plates to hold the guts making the "paper" path flat.

Of course, as with all interesting projects - there was never time to
finish it. It never really got past the investigatory stage.

Wow! That IS industrious!

The news about reduced silver nitrate printing is exciting.  Just think of making a multi layer
stack out of that...    What if you chose a plastic substrate that ablates well and makes a reducing atmosphere
as it does?  Then you would have a chance that laser drilled holes could still have an annular
ring of internal stack layer silver exposed to bondmore silver to!   Voila, the only subtractive part of
the stack up of connectivity is the laser drilling.   Poof go environmental concerns, up goes locally
feasible productivity!

John Griessen
Austex