Re: gEDA-user: PCB SYNTAX ERROR BROKEN PIPE

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 16:47 -0400, Transistor Toaster wrote:
> It looks like pcb does not like in the .pcb files lines starting with
> PKG_
>

> > > PKG_CON_USB_TYPEB__Keystone_924(CON_USB_TYPEB__Keystone_924,U9,unknown)
> > > <<<<<<<<<LINE40
> >
> > I'm not sure, but is that  a conflict marker from a CVS update?
> I added the <<<<<< myself in the email just to point out the line

Ok, I understand now.
[snip]

> I changed the footprint to a SIP4 which eliminated the line. The pcb
> progrm found the same kind of error on line 88 of .pcb with  "PKG_SO14
> (SO14, U7, unknown)".  I do need however those footprints. The beef I
> have here is that SO14 is not a custom made footprint, it comes prebuilt
> with the software.
> >
> > I wounder: does re-running gsch2pcb re-create that fault? It might be
> > left over from another failed execution.
> I erased the .pcb files generated by gsch2pcb each time.
>
> Could the PKG commands in .pcb be a new one that is not supported by my
> version of pcb?

PKG commands aren't supported by PCB, they expanded by the m4 macro
processor (for "oldlib") footprints, and any which remain unfound, are
replaced by gsch2pcb with the contents of the appropriate newlib
footprint. If it doesn't find the appropriate newlib footprint, it
"should" remove them.

For me,

PKG_CON_USB_TYPEB__Keystone_924(CON_USB_TYPEB__Keystone_924,U9,unknown)

doesn't expand - is it a custom footprint not part of the normal
library?

PKG_SO14(SO14, U7, unknown)

expands ok. The way your email wrapped, I wounder if you have a space
after the footprint's name in the footprint= attribute.

PKG_SO14 (SO14, U7, unknown)

That won't work.

If you don't mind doing so, can you post the schematic and any custom
footprint in question, or a small test-case which reproduces the
problem. You can send directly to me if you want.

Peter C.