Re: gEDA-user: syntax error

Ian Chapman wrote:
> Thanks DJ that was exactly the problem.  Regards Ian.

> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 09:46 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> It looks like you tried to edit the footprint with pcb, but saved it
>> as a layout rather than as a footprint.  Check your footprint file on
>> disk.

I'm thinking this is another reason perhaps to have pcb do the loading
of the footprints instead of letting gsch2pcb do it.  Right now I don't
think gsch2pcb does any sanity checking at all of any files it finds
that it thinks are footprints.  Makes for non-useful error messages like
in Ian's case here.

-Dan

If PCB enforced saving footprints as dot.fp and layouts as dot.pcb I would
not have hit this snag.  The win default is to save in the format that was
loaded.  I'll be more careful in future.  PCB does in fact do some checking
of footprints and has accurately pointed to all my other footprint errors in
the file generated by gsch2pcb.  I guess this one was too was caught only I
did not realize what I was looking at.  Ian.