Re: gEDA-user: Open VHDL Simulators?

Stephen Williams wrote:
[...]
> Has anybody here used ghdl? freehdl? Relative merits? Which is
> most active? The most portable? Easiest to use?
>
> It just seems like ghdl has the most activity associated with it,
> but FreeHDL doesn't look completely dead either. So what to choose?

For openSUSE you can find RPM packages of both simulators through:

http://software.opensuse.org/search

Both packages have source packages available and I believe it should be
fairly simple to use those and compile a package for a different
distribution.

Although I did create the ghdl package, I only tested it with a simple
VHDL example. So I cannot comment on how feature rich it is.

Before creating the RPM I had installed it from source on one of my
computers. What I always found to be a hassle to figure out is to get
the correct version of ADA compiler.

Guenter