Re: gEDA-user: terminators

> tune down your edge rate in the FPGA to make the effective
> bandwidth  of your edges lower. square waves are an infinite series of sine waves,
trapezoidal are finite.  ( roughly speaking )
> 3 inches is a 1/8th wave antenna for 500MHz,  again roughly (
> 1GHz ~=
> 12 inches ~=1 nS at the speed of light. )
> if you worried about signal integrity, ignore the logic analyzer

Yeah but on a pcb, flight-time on FR-4 is around 170pS / inch (off the top of my head,
anyway).   By way of 'rule of thumb' the trace looks like a transmission line if the flight
time is greater than 1/4 wavelength.  If 1ns edge rate, then it's 1/4 of 4nS, which
translates into about 1" (I think I did that right).  So anything longer than 1" will have
transmission line affects, and you should consider termination.

Xilinx fpga's are very capable of producing 1 nS edges or maybe better.  That translates
to around 500 MHz.  My experience with the slew rate limiting on the spartan-2 is that it
doesn't do very much.  Dropping the drive strength will definitely slow the edges since the
output impedance of the gate goes up and you get an RC rise time affect on the line.  As
long as the degraded rise-time is ok in your design, this is a good method.

gene