Re: gEDA-user: FT232R

On Wednesday 08 April 2009, Mike Hansen wrote:
>Quick FYI:
>

>The FTDI USB UARTs have noise immunity issues.  They tend to lock up after
> running for an hour or so.  And worst of all they only reset themselves
> when the USB cable has been physically removed.  It's a well known problem.
>  I would avoid this chip for new designs.

I could almost argue the point about FTDI stuff.  I'm also on the heyu list,
where a couple of years ago we became aware that 99% of the adapter problems
heyu was having (and coincidentally the apcupsd list found the same) were
related to the user using a PL2303 based adapter.  So we started telling the
newbies to bin them and get FTDI stuff, because it Just Works(TM).  And it
does, there are 5 or 6 of them in this system right now, and they are
dependable and 100% transparent.

2 of the ones I am using are booster hubs on the other end of 16 foot cables.
Nary a hiccup in a years use.  Mother nature blew one of them all to hell, but
when the systems are 25 feet apart, the EMP from a nearby strike can do heavy
duty things to electronics.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)