Re: gEDA-user: FT232R

On Apr 8, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 April 2009, Mike Hansen wrote:
>> Quick FYI:
>>

>> The FTDI USB UARTs have noise immunity issues.  They tend to lock
>> up after
>> running for an hour or so.  And worst of all they only reset
>> themselves
>> when the USB cable has been physically removed.  It's a well known
>> problem.
>> I would avoid this chip for new designs.
>>
> I could almost argue the point about FTDI stuff.  I'm also on the
> heyu list,
> where a couple of years ago we became aware that 99% of the adapter
> problems
> heyu was having (and coincidentally the apcupsd list found the same)
> were
> related to the user using a PL2303 based adapter.  So we started
> telling the
> newbies to bin them and get FTDI stuff, because it Just Works(TM).
> And it
> does, there are 5 or 6 of them in this system right now, and they are
> dependable and 100% transparent.

On out development boards we dropped the prolific devices because
their OS-X drivers would cause kernel panics.
Switched to the FTDI 232R devices and have never looked back.

The few folks here, that hate the FTDI chips want a 16550 UART.

I have had issues occasionally, but usually trace that to a non
compliant $5 USB hub.

Steve