gEDA-user: Two pin variable capacitor symbol with 3 pin footprint

Hello,

I have a little problem:
I have variable capacitors (trimmer) which two pins as symbol, but the
footprint has three pins, pin 1 and 3 are connected internally. When I
started I made a footprint where the third pin has pin-number 1 again.
This works fine for the capacitor, but of course problems occur when one
uses this same footprint for a real three pin device like a
potentiometer. (We need a copy of the three pin footprint with pin 3
renamed to 1, and we have to remember that we did this.)

What would you suggest:

- Make a copy of a true 3 pin footprint and rename pin 3 to 1 (this is
what I did first.)

- Use the 3 pin footprint, let pin 3 unconnected

- Connect the third pin manually in PCB program -- my fear is that will
give permanent DRC warnings.

A trivial problem, but as always I am looking for the best solution.

Thanks

Stefan Salewski