Re: gEDA-user: paid help?

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Anthony Shanks <yamazakir2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Didn't bother with any kind of scripted footprint generator as I
> wanted to know exactly what the file format was for footprints. Once I
> discovered how easy it was I felt it wasn't worth fighting with a
> script that may or may not do what i needed to do. It's been working
> fine for me and I haven't had any problems with footprints thus far
> and I spent very little time making footprints compared with the rest
> of the layout process.

For a programmer, it is easier to write a scripted footprint generator
than to roll a footprint by hand with a calculator and text editor.

A calculator is needed because of the interesting way pad geometry is
defined in pcb footprints.  Also, it seems that the datasheet
footprints always provide the most inconvenient measurements.  It's
nice to have a record of the calculations that can be checked into
version control.

I usually spend one full day creating footprints for a reasonably
complex design.  That is one day of engineering time that I would save
if I was using Eagle or something with reliable built-in footprints.
(Before I started making my own, I have wasted a lot more than one day
by relying on pcb's built-in footprints...)

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--