Re: gEDA-user: A little puzzled about the purpose of gschem

   Thanks for a reasonable response to my post.

   Yes, an initial investment is often needed, but that ought to be an
   investment that deals with non-standard components that are not of
   common interest. Second, before your response, no one (at least as I
   read it) said that you could save the spice directives with the symbol
   itself. People talked about copying and pasting things from an existing
   schematic, but that is not the same thing.

   This rekindles my interest in gschem. One followup question - is it
   possible to pack symbols with commonly used public domain spice models
   and create a library that other users of gschem can employ (and would
   then be able to use without all that initial investment of time) ? If
   yes, why has no one ever done it (the project is pretty mature) ? If
   no, what are the legal / technical reasons for that choice ?

   Its not just LTSpice. kicad (not that I have used it, but reading from
   the descriptions) supposedly also does a more seamless spice simulation
   AND has pcb layout tools integrated.

   Not embedding the commonly available spice models for common components
   appears to be a retrograde choice for gschem. But I am happy to hear
   that the symbols can be saved with the model itself. Whether or not a
   proper shared library can be created is a different matter.

   On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Geoff Swan