Re: gEDA-user: A little puzzled about the purpose of gschem

   I don't think it is a matter of skill.

   I am an engineer / scientist who is interested in what *works*. I am
   paid to get a certain piece of work done (for the best possible design
   in the shortest amount of time), not spend time working around
   imperfections of certain pieces of software when better alternatives
   might exist.

   A smart person picks the best tool for the job (within the
   constraints), not pick up an ideology and then waste time working
   around imperfections in the current implementation of something
   consistent with that ideology. I don't want to get preachy here because
   there was a time when anything I used had to be open source (except for
   stuff prescribed for classes).

   I was merely looking for a clarification after I had formed certain
   negative first impressions.

   To me, it is obvious that pcb/geda is superior to eagle. But there is a
   gap between the schematic drawing program (gschem) and the circuit
   simulation that other competitors do not have. Since multiple circuit
   iterations usually occur during the simulation period of the design
   (long before it is laid out for a PCB), any extra time wasted in any
   one of these steps has a multiplier effect on the overall time spent.
   Professionally, that is unacceptable, regardless of my personal
   inclinations, or ideologies.

   I have come across MI-Sugar (which has been discontinued but free (not
   open source)). The author plans to release a successor to the program
   (Volta) in a couple of days, so I am going to check that out later. Of
   course, it does not have PCB layout, but for that, I can always use
   geda.

   I will like to thank all of you who informed me of various aspects of
   geda that I was not very conversant with. I might be back with further
   questions later about some other parts of geda that I find much better
   implemented from a usability standpoint than gschem.

   On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM, John Doty <[1]jpd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

   On Apr 24, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
   > Unfortunately, the opposite is true for gschem/gnucap vs ltspice

     Unfortunately, it takes more skill to drive a Jeep than it take to
     drive a tricycle.

   [2]http://www.noqsi.com/
   [3]jpd@xxxxxxxxx