Re: gEDA-user: A little puzzled about the purpose of gschem

The problem is that there are very few public-domain spice models.
Every semiconductor vendor has their own license (sometimes several)
for their spice libraries.  Only some of these licenses allow
redistribution.  Furthermore, because the licenses are carelessly
written and applied, they are often legally ambiguous.  Yet more pain
comes from their incompatibilities; no two spice simulators are 100%
compatible, so most (in my experience) vendor-provided models do not
work with the open-source simulators.

Spicelib (http://www.h-renrew.de/h/spicelib/doc/index.html), which I
shall shamelessly plug for the 3rd time on this thread, tries to solve
both of these problems.  It is a set of scripts that a user can
download.  The scripts will fetch vendors' models directly from the
source, solving the redistribution problem.  Then it will patch them
for compatibility with gnucap and ng-spice, solving the compatibility
problem.

Spicelib is still rough around the edges, but it's a quick way to get
~1500 tested spice models that you can use.  It does not, however,
come with a set of gschem symbols.

There is no reason why someone can't create a library of symbols that
reference the spicelib models.  However, many (most?) gschem users
don't want this.  A one-size-fits-all symbol just doesn't satisfy
everyone's needs.  While it's nice for hobbyists and students, most
professionals have very detailed requirements and would be unable to
use such a premade library.  For professionals, gschem's builtin
"light" symbols are more useful, because they can be easily adapted to
specific needs.  This is also why expensive EDA software typically
doesn't come with premade symbol libraries.

But I agree, hobbyists would rejoice at the availability of such a
library.  http://www.gedasymbols.org/ is the closest thing we have
right now.