Re: gEDA-user: paid help?

On Apr 7, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 13:43 +0900, timecop wrote:
>> I would never trust pre-made symbols for any project, it takes very
>
> Similar for me, and I do not trust my own symbols also!

True enough.  The only time I have been badly burned is when using a downloaded footprint without checking it. OK, not true.  The *other* time I was badly burned was when I expected that the footprint in a Freescale data sheet would actually be somewhat close to the actual part -- I do admit it had the same number of pins...  And then I've made goofs that were my fault, but mostly of the "silkscreen polarity backwards" variety.

> And I have to admit that I do not really trust the linux kernel, my web
> browser and email client, ... Maybe I should try to write all of this
> myself, when I am finished with building my own car and CPU.

I've got a friend like you.  He doesn't like C, so he wrote his own compiler.  He won't pay for SolidWorks or similar, so he wrote his own 3D CAD package.  He's now working on his own CAM package -- someday he may make a part, but last week he did a spindle-off rapid plunge into a piece of 1/2" aluminum plate on the HAAS at San Jose City College.  HAAS rapids are pretty fast :)  It's interesting working on CNC and robotics... the phrase "software crash" takes on a whole new meaning.

-dave