Re: gEDA-user: Matching footprints with symbols

The 'RADIAL_CAN 200' I used to replace Luciani-footprints (I don't blame him
but the parser), after this proved non-working.

It is interesting to note, that in the file Hauptplatine_v1.new.pcb generated by gsch2pcb,
they translate to "RADIAL_CAN-200" in the Element-definition.

Maybe it is somewhere, but an authoritative definition of what characters are allowed in identifiers seems to be badly lacking. This definition must hold valid for the entire gEDA suite. Otherwise an integration of any kind is doomed to fail.

Looking at this I recall a statement about file-format evolvement:
"...the file format must stay backwards compatible." - I dare to negate this: All the files I encountered but the netlist have a version specifier as their 1st line.
It is sufficient to adhere to this feature. All other characteristics can be
changed and some should.

A good idea to me is to adherere to the JSON syntax definition for future
exchange formats.  http://www.json.org/
For netlists one might consider <ref_des>:<N> instead of <ref_des>-<N>.

Regards, Armin