Re: gEDA-user: Matching footprints with symbols

   Well like everyone else I have my own crazy way of creating symbols as
   I go
   along.  What I do, is for each part I create a sort of heavy symbol for
   that
   particular part in its own directory.
   What I'd love to see is some sort of wiki of such heavy parts.  Each
   one could
   have mouser part number or whatever.  Of course this would cover only a
   tiny
   fraction of available parts at first, but it might get useful fast: the
   most popular
   or commonly used parts would get added first.  When prototyping you
   could
   look for a part with a heavy gEDA symbol first.
   Even once you have a system for doing it its still a time-consuming
   pain
   dealing with symbols and footprints all the time.
   Britton

   On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Vladimir Zhbanov
   <[1]vzhbanov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

     DJ Delorie wrote:
     > > between footprints and its instances on a board and am able to
     think
     > > of things like SQL-databases providing a clear, yet flexible
     mapping
     > > between
     >
     > Perhaps this idea of mine is relevent?
     >
     > [2]http://www.delorie.com/pcb/component-dbs.html

     Hello.
     I am newbie here, too.
     My suggestion is to make database in text format for gschem, pcb and
     probably others. Idea is that central object is real component from
     programs point of view. There should be a way for users to choose
     components for their symbols (for example for pin mapping) and/or
     symbols/footprints for their components. I intentionally use only
     general elements and imply initial schematic capture so DB should be
     rather light than heavy.
     DB format could be simple and it is stuff to discuss. Simple
     example:
     (component_name (pcb_name1 pcb_name2 ...) (gschem_name1
     gschem_name1 ...) ...)
     or maybe so:
     component=component_name {
            company=company_name
            footprint=footprint_name1
            footprint=footprint_name2
            symbol=sym_name1
            symbol=sym_name2
            whatelse=whatelse1
     }
     and so on.
     The database could be distributed and all gEDA programs could use
     it.
     For example I'd like to have common gEDA database and my own local
     database which contents line (it is just silly example):
     (7400 (7400-1.sym 7400-2.sym) (DIP14 DIP14N))
     That way programs could know what symbols user may use for
     component.
     Then instead of symbol selecting in gschem user could select real
     component's name ('component=' attribute?) and preferred symbol and
     footprint for it. And in pcb he/she could select required component
     and
     then footprints for it only instead of searching footprint firstly
     in
     datasheet and then in pcb library.
     All above could be compromiss for disctinct programs of gEDA project
     until new better format will be accepted.
     And that way distinct databases for different users, sizes,
     standarts,
     locales and so on could be created.
     VZh