Re: gEDA-user: A little puzzled about the purpose of gschem

On Apr 22, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Madhusudan Singh wrote:

> As to the respondent who said that gschem is useful because it creates
>   the net that gnetlist can use to generate the netlist, I am sorry to
>   say that you are missing the bigger picture in the workflow. The way my
>   initial experience was - I found that I would have to enter portions of
>   that spice netlist in some scattered boxes in gschem, then use gnetlist
>   to presumably do some topological analysis and write out the actual
>   node numbers in the spice netlist. That is where there is a disconnect.
>   There is no way that that is a more efficient use of anyone's time than
>   simply drawing a circuit by hand, assigning node numbers and typing it
>   all in in one shot.

Well, all I can say is that I certainly can't manually assign node numbers faster than gnetlist does for any circuit larger than maybe three components. But I design VLSI with thousands of transistors using gEDA.

The only "portions of that spice netlist in some scattered boxes" you find in my schematics are things like .INCLUDE, subcircuit names, and the occasional simulator command. If you're putting in more than that, you're not using the tool effectively.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx