Re: gEDA-user: zview/ngscope

Alex,

I just wanted to say that I'm watching your project with interest and
that I don't consider ngscope "yet another waveform viewer". If you
could bring it to a usable state it would be very useful tool for my
own work. I've tried it but it throws an exception when loading
simulation results (using your own sample data) and then fails to do
anything as the signal list is empty. Tested on Ubuntu 11.4 beta.

I'm also following the development of oscopy, although it seems to
focus more on data post-processing rather than interactive work with
simulation results (still, it is pretty good, if it only supported
more input formats). On these rare occasions when I tried OS
simulators I was usually viewing the results in a spice3 built-in
viewer or gwave. Neither of them really had features I'd expect from a
good waveform viewer.

IMHO writing a good waveform viewer is a great thing to do, as it is
an easiest way of getting a foothold in the real-world workflows.
Schematic/PCB/layout editors suffer from severe vendor lock-in,
professional grade simulators or verification tools are niche and
difficult to implement. In comparison, waveform viewers are relatively
easy and are being used all the time by almost every engineer working
in the field.

Thanks,

Andrzej