Re: gEDA-user: default pcb stackup change?

DJ Delorie wrote:

> I'm pondering a minor change in pcb's defaults to give us a more
> useful default stackup.  How's this?
>
>   LAYERNAME (1, "top"),
>   LAYERNAME (2, "ground"),
>   LAYERNAME (3, "signal2"),
>   LAYERNAME (4, "signal3"),
>   LAYERNAME (5, "power"),
>   LAYERNAME (6, "bottom"),
>   LAYERNAME (7, "outline"),
>   LAYERNAME (8, "spare"),
>
> This encompasses a few changes:
>
> 1. Default to six-layer stackup.  You can ignore the signalN or
>    power/ground layers for smaller boards.  This covers nearly all PCB
>    users (2/4/6 layers), and the rest can edit the stackup as usual.

Make the default layer stack depend on options:
--2layer
--4layer
--6layer

> 2. Always include an "outline" layer.  Handling an empty outline layer
>    will need to be tweaked.

Very good.

> 3. Rename outer layers to top/bottom, which seems to be what other
>    packages (specifically, eagle and kicad) use.  Component/solder
>    isn't as obvious with SMT.  We've used front/back elsewhere before,
>    too, but that seems to be even less common.

yes, please! Top/bottom is the preferred naming schema at my place
and of my favorite fab.

> 4. Make the default layers in the right order to reflect a physical
>    stackup.

nice.

> Note that this would be an interim change until we get around to
> either a new-board-wizard or new-means-load-template.

IMHO, pcb already sort of behaves like that -- If I start pcb from
scratch, I get an empty layout with the stack like it is defined in
	.pcb/preferences

> So, geda/pcb users - would such a layout be a better default for you?
> Or worse?  Or would something else make more sense?

I like to have a comment layer just below the outline layer. In
this layer I put internal notes.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak