Re: gEDA-user: RFC using SVG with semantic markup as an EDA format

Peter Clifton wrote:

> TBH, I've not seen SVG anywhere on the main-stream internet.

Wikipedia prefers SVG for anything that is not a photograph. The servers
render SVG graphics to PNG as needed before handing it out to the browser.

> Linux
> desktops use SVG a lot for desktop graphics, but it really isn't as
> prevalent as it should be.

Microsoft and Apple do not like

> What excuse is there for OpenOffice / LibreOffice being so appallingly
> bad at working with SVG files?

Actually, SVG import is among the first features of libreoffice beyond
openoffice:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/new-features-and-fixes/

> Why can't we paste them right into TeX, LaTeX or whatever? They are all
> open source, yet this open format is not supported.

IMHO, latex development reached a state of virtual feature freeze before
SVG became a viable alternative.

> Whilst SVG is an obvious open vector standard to support - not a lot of
> things actually work well with it sadly.

The number one open source vector drawing application, inkscape uses SVG
as its native file format. This alone would be reason enough to seriously
consider SVG as an import/export file format.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
UniversitÃt Hannover, Inst. fÃr Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211