Re: gEDA-user: RFC using SVG with semantic markup as an EDA format

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 18:14 +0100, Andrew Seddon wrote:
> I think EDIF pretty much died, no party had a vested interest in
> making it work and the standard is a bloated mess.
>
> SVG represents a real opportunity to piggy back on the much more
> dominant force of the interwebs.

TBH, I've not seen SVG anywhere on the main-stream internet. Linux
desktops use SVG a lot for desktop graphics, but it really isn't as
prevalent as it should be.

What excuse is there for OpenOffice / LibreOffice being so appallingly
bad at working with SVG files?

Why can't we paste them right into TeX, LaTeX or whatever? They are all
open source, yet this open format is not supported.

Whilst SVG is an obvious open vector standard to support - not a lot of
things actually work well with it sadly.

I was pleasantly surprised to see FreeCAD saves out SVG for its CAD
exports - but I would have expected (and half preferred) PDF. I'm
getting used to the amazing ease with which tools like Inkscape can open
PS and PDF files, then edit them as vector graphics.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,