Re: gEDA-user: RFC using SVG with semantic markup as an EDA format

> On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 21:55 +0100, Andrew Seddon wrote:
>> I am exploring the idea of using the Scalable Vector Graphics standard
>> as an EDA format.
>>
>> https://github.com/seddona/svgparts
>>
>> Would be interested in your thoughts, there's a little more
>> explanation on my blog.
>>

> What would be the benefit of SVG?
>
> Arbitrary symbol sizes? We can scale our current symbols already, but a
> schematic with very many different symbol sizes will look strange.
> Indeed limited scaling may be fine, ie. scaling our 900 units long
> resistor to 800 or 1000 units length -- but pins should always end on a
> 100 grid multiple. (no that is not really needed to connect nets, but
> for ordered look.)
>
> Currently SVG export should be a trivial task due to cairo -- similar to
> PS and PDF export.
>
> Filled SVG paths are fine, we have it, still without editing support.
>
> Do we need other fancy graphics? I do not think so. Schematics design is
> not really art work.
>
> If we really want full SVG, we may consider a "Schematic" Mode for
> Inkscape. But Inkscape is really a large, complex tool.
>
> If it is possible to embedd all the "elelectronics stuff" like
> attributes, net connection, slots, ... in SVG file, then it may be OK.
> But the effort -- it is similar to a complete rewrite of gschem. And a
> rewrite -- again C and guile and GTK?
>
> PS:
> We may consider using inkscapes svg icon set for geda/pcb. Inkspape is
> GPL, so it should be OK. You may look at files
>
> /usr/share/inkscape/icons/icons.svg
> /usr/share/inkscape/icons/tango_icons.svg
>
> Very nice icon set, I intend using it for my plain ruby gschem clone.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Stefan Salewski

So I think it might help to limit the scope of my intent initially to
library parts. I'd like to create a truly vendor neutral, widely
supported EDA library format, and the only way I see to do that is to
piggy back on a format much larger than anything the EDA industry
could ever create in isolation.

I'm actually thinking more of a direct convert from the gEDA library
files so as to maintain design intent, rather than ripping from the
graphics layer.