Re: gEDA-user: RFC using SVG with semantic markup as an EDA format

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 08:55:12PM +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > TBH, I've not seen SVG anywhere on the main-stream internet.
>
> Wikipedia prefers SVG for anything that is not a photograph. The servers
> render SVG graphics to PNG as needed before handing it out to the browser.
>

> > Linux
> > desktops use SVG a lot for desktop graphics, but it really isn't as
> > prevalent as it should be.
>
> Microsoft and Apple do not like
>

> > What excuse is there for OpenOffice / LibreOffice being so appallingly
> > bad at working with SVG files?
>
> Actually, SVG import is among the first features of libreoffice beyond
> openoffice:
> http://www.libreoffice.org/download/new-features-and-fixes/
>

> > Why can't we paste them right into TeX, LaTeX or whatever? They are all
> > open source, yet this open format is not supported.
>
> IMHO, latex development reached a state of virtual feature freeze before
> SVG became a viable alternative.

Surely you can convert SVG to EPS, which TeX/LaTeX happily embed.

Looks like UniConvertor/sK1 is the usual Free tool to script that
conversion.  Would it make any sense to leverage that software base,
and add Gerber or native gEDA/PCB to its list of import and export filters?

http://sk1project.org/modules.php?name=Products&product=uniconvertor

  - Larry