Re: gEDA-user: Attribute Net (without pin assignment) - for Power and Port Symbols

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:14:13PM +0200, Krzysztof KoÅciuszkiewicz wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:41:23PM +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > pin[pinnumber=1] {pinnumber="2";}
> > pin[pinnumber=2] {pinnumber="1";}
> >

> > I've long seen this to be the most sane way of managing back-annotation
> > into a hierarchy. I would go as far to say refdes should be
> > back-annotated as such:
> >
> > #X1 > #X1 > #R1 {refdes = "R99";}
> > #X1 > #X2 > #R1 {refdes = "R123";}
> > #X1 > #X3 > #R1 {refdes = "R3";}
>
> That looks neat & powerful - and starting to closely resemble XPath/XSLT/CSS
> transformations.
>
> But I think we're actually getting farther from something that:
>     * is backwards compatible with the name=value attribute definition/syntx
>     * can be simply used to add hierarchy/depth to attribute assignments
>
> It would be best to keep these two things aligned - syntax used for
> general transformations should be a natural extension of the one used
> for attribute definitions.
>
> And a small comment regarding hierarchy separators - I would personally
> choose anything that does not require shift-keystroke to type the most
> commonly used separator - so '/' and '.' seem to be the two natural
> candidates.

That's not a very compelling criterion; on my spanish keyboard:

- the following characters need shift:

	!"Â$%&/()=?Â*_:;

  (the slash is actually shift+7, which is messy to type when
   with the left hand when you have the right hand on the mouse)

- the following ones need the AltGr key (called ISO_LEVEL3 in X):

	\|@#~Â{[]}ÅâÂÅâââÃÃÃÃÃÄÅÄÄÂÂÂââÂ

  (and Å, but I don't think that you want to use this Polish
   specific character as a separator)
  Side note, I have an old (2001) black Apple keyboard, which has
  two AltGr keys. Most Spanish keyboards only have one, on the
  right side; it is _impossible_ to type with one hand some
  combinations using AltGr with these, most notably \|@#, which
  are on the number row starting from the extreme left above
  the Tab key until digit 3 (well I can type the #, but I have
  relatively large hands).

- and finally the following ones need both shift and AltGr:

	ÂâÂÂÎÂÅÂâÂÂââÃÃ

A french or german keyboard will be different (I'm french,
but I can't stand the layout of french keyboards).

	Regards,
	Gabriel